February 9, 2013

Hard to Ignore

Studies have shown that the sound of a crying baby is physically impossible for people to ignore.  The Lord made us in such a way that we MUST respond when we hear that sound.  You know what other sound we MUST respond to?  The sound our cell phone makes when we have a new text message or the notification sound when someone posts about us on Facebook.  You're lying if you don't admit that when your phone goes "ding" ( or "boink" or "gong" or whatever your phone does to get your attention) you jump and run to see who it is and what they want.

The other day I was in the shower and heard the distinctive sound my iPhone makes upon receiving a text.  I had to make a concerted effort not to grab a towel and see who it was...in the MIDDLE of my shower.  Seriously?!?  Whilst shaking my head at my own foolishness I heard that still, small voice ask "how come you don't respond like that to My call?"

OUCH....He's right of course, when was the last time I dropped everything to listen and obey His ding?  In her wonderful book, Battlefield of the MindJoyce Meyer talks about Prompt Exact Obedience (PEO for short).  That the Lord is looking for a few good people who leap to obey his commands...without delay or hemming and hawing!

Lord, I ask you to forgive me and my fleshy ignoring of Your call.  I ask you to help me grow in the speed that I respond to You. You say in your Word that Your sheep know Your voice and that at the sound they followed, I pray that I not only recognize the voice of my Shepherd but that I willingly, joyfully and quickly obey!  Selah

No comments: